This post is from the archive but that doesn’t take away from its coolness factor! The Old Québec funicular (funiculaire du Vieux-Québec) has been operating since November 1879. It is the only one of its kind in America. Told ya it was pretty cool! 😉
The funicular has an eventful and tragic history. It was built by William Griffith. Back then the cabins scaled up and down by means of a counter weight water process and steam power. It was converted to electrical power in 1907. The original funicular was destroyed by a fire in July of 1945. It was reconstructed in 1946 and equipped with metal shelters. In 1978, it underwent major renovations and the glass cabins were installed. In 1996, a woman lost her life while riding the funicular; the cable snapped and the emergency brake failed which caused the cabin to crash into the lower station. It was closed until 1998, which after, once again, going through renovations it was reopened to the public.
The funicular is a link between Dufferin Terrace and Quartier Petit Champlain, Place-Royale and the Old Port. The lower entrance is in Louis Jolliet House and the upper level entrance is on Dufferin Terrace near the Château Frontenac.
Enjoy the view while you are travelling at a 45 degree angle (up or down the cliff). It sure beats walking up all those steps. 😉